This page contains useful information relating to Year 2 and will also be updated with what the children have been up to.
In the year 2 team you will find:
- Miss Tresadern
- Mrs May and Mrs Lambert
- Mrs Morris
Autumn A 2019:
This term kicked off with the topic Elite Explorers and our adventures with Sunny the Meerkat. Our class story has been 'Meerkat Mail' by Emily Gravett. In the story, Sunny sets off on a trip around the world to find a new place to live. We loved getting to know the story and retelling it in our own words!
We have also begun a safari to Kenya to learn about life there compared to life here in the UK. We are looking forward to exploring the national parks, African animals and the Masai Mara.
Look at our amazing homework linked to our Dangerous Dragons topic!
Autumn B :
Ferocious Fire & Devious Dark
This half term has kicked off with the children exploring Bonfire Night by writing and performing Firework poetry using onomatopoeia and alliteration. We have also looked at the history of Bonfire Night celebrations by learning about Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot.
In English, we are reading the story of 'Orion and the Dark' by Emma Yarlett. Orion, the main character, is afraid of so many things! We linked this to our own personal fears and thought about why we might have certain fears. We are really enjoying getting to know the story before we retell it ourselves.
In maths, we have recapped and consolidated our place value knowledge. This then progressed on to setting out column addition and subtraction for 2-digit numbers up to 100. We are really proud of how well the children have achieved with this skill!
The Great Fire of London
We have been learning about the events of the Great Fire of London in 1666. First we sequenced the events and acted them out. Then we made models of the houses from Pudding Lane (where the fire started). After we invited the local fire service to help us safely set fire to our models and watch how the fire spread. They then bravely put out the fire for us. Following this we have written a non-chronological report containing all of the information we have learned about this event!
- Please make sure your child has a labelled water bottle in school.
- We have PE on a Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Please ensure your child has clearly labelled: black shorts; white t-shirt; pumps or trainers; and jogging bottoms.
- Weekly homework is handed out on a Wednesday and we request you return this completed on the following Monday unless otherwise stated.
- Year 2 will participate in forest schools during the year. Please keep and eye out in the window for the dates your class are going and bring the required clothing/shoes including a wet weather coat and wellies.
- The tyres positioned outside of the year 2 classrooms are used as planters. Please ensure your children are not climbing or playing on them.
- Please ensure all jumpers and cardigans are labelled.
If you have any spare time and would like to come in and volunteer to listen to children read then please let your child's class teacher know.
If you would like to support your child at home, here are some useful websites to look at: