Equality Objectives – Academic year 2022 - 2023
We recognise that the public sector equality duty has three aims and they are to:
• Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct under the Act
• Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
• Foster good relations between people who have a shared characteristic and those who do not.
Woodloes Primary School will annually review how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (race, disability, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, religion and belief and sexual orientation.)
We aim to provide the best possible education for all our pupils.
The ethos of our school - as a community primary school and member of The Community Academies Trust - clearly reflects our commitment to fully including and respecting all members of the community.
We have set ourselves the following objectives for the coming year:
• To ensure staff and governors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand the Trust’s responsibility
• To promote cultural understanding and awareness and tolerance of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our community
• To promote mental health awareness and develop appropriate interventions where necessary
• Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students for all groups of pupils; especially pupils eligible for pupil premium, special educational needs and disabilities, looked after pupils and pupils from ethnic groups
• Monitor the incidence and use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by pupils using enhanced school reporting systems
• Ensure the curriculum represents a diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect.